Friday, January 13, 2006

Twat did you say?

For anyone who missed Craig last night, he used the word “twat” repeatedly. Presumably, he’d checked it out with his legal department before going on air. I checked the American Heritage dictionary and it doesn’t even rate a mention. More modern devices return the word as slang for vulva or, alternatively, a man who is a stupid incompetent fool. Twat was that you said about our president?

The core of Craig’s rant was the uproar surrounding James Frey’s book “A Million Little Pieces.” Where on earth is it written that an author cannot deviate one iota from fact? Okay, so it’s supposed to be a memoir, but everyone embellishes. It’s part of telling an interesting story. Everyone recounting a shared experience will tell a different version, somewhat embellished, somewhat edited. So he inflated the truth to make it more dramatic, big deal!

As for J.T. Leroy, that’s just plain funny. I even attended a book reading last year hoping for a glimpse of the elusive author, whose persona, it turns out, is completely fabricated. I’m not offended. I’m just jealous. From where I sit, it seems that publishers want controversy about their authors. It sells more books. Take my fellow countrywoman JK Rowling, for example. She was made out to be a homeless pauper, which turns out to not be entirely the case, but it sure got her lots of attention. Now, if I don’t turn up a job real soon, I might be out on the streets myself. Perhaps then the memoir that I’ve written might actually get published… mmmh… eviction notice anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment