Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A New Beginning

More than a decade ago, I started running daily with my good friend CT. It was painful, but we were persistent and to ensure I had incentive I set the goal of running the Paris marathon for an upcoming milestone birthday.

At the time I worked for Sega in Redwood City and had to be at work at 8:30. Luckily, they had a shower for employee use. CT and I would meet at 6:30 by the little outdoors gym beside the marina at Fort Mason and plod our way to beneath the Golden Gate Bridge and back again. By the time we hit the final stretch, the endorphins had kicked in and we felt invincible. By the time we made our respective commutes, we were ready to kick ass!

At the time I was also earning a degree in Multimedia at San Francisco State University, one of the first programs in the country to teach the interdisciplinary skills needed to create CD-ROMs. I very quickly realized, however, that the Web was the way to go. And, came up with the inspired idea of creating a women’s web site, which I thought would be perfect for Nike to sponsor, that catalogued our daily running efforts as we increased our strength and our mileage – for by that time I’d convinced CT that she needed to run a marathon too. I didn’t pitch Nike (dammit, don't you always regret the things you didn't do?), but I did run the Paris marathon… and here I am ten years later and blogging is all the rage… who would have thought?

I mention this because today I started running again. After checking the marathon off my to-do list, I got bored, pregnancy got in the way of CT being able to run (too much pressure on her bladder, but shh) then she went and lived in Singapore for 3 years while I was rear-ended by an old bat in a Cadillac and unable to sustain any kind of exercise… not even my beloved yoga.

Today wasn’t pretty but it was a beginning and since it’s a new year, well, here’s to new beginnings for everyone though hopefully they don’t all lead to marathons.

p.s. did you see my future boyfriend on the People's Choice Awards last night? Wasn't Craig handsome?

No comments:

Post a Comment